A session I ran with my eleven a side team on Playing Out From The Back In A Phase Of Play.
– Creating space
– Passing: selection and quality
– Support: angles and distances
– Player Movement: create/exploit space
– First Touch
– Body Position: to play which direction?
– Attacking Principles: Penetration, Movement, Support, Innovation, Dispersal.
– Two full backs spread wide, higher than centre backs to stretch play. First touch can be taken infield into space or down touch line.
– Two centre halves split and spread to corners of penalty area.
– One central midfielder drop deeper as ‘pivot’ player.
– Two remaining centre midfielders push higher.
– Play in response to attacking team’s pressing. If keeper/centre backs are pressed, look to distribute to full backs, if strikers drop off centre backs can bring ball out.
– Midfield players look to create space ahead of defence to receive ball.
– Striker movement look to drop deep into ‘false 9’ role to receive in space and lay off for advancing players.
– Attacking team play out from goalkeeper
– Defending team press/drop
– Approx size full width x 70 yards length
– Attacking team attempt to score into small goals
– Defending team attempt to regain possession and score counter attacking goal